- August 29, 2016
- Posted by: Fola Daniel Adelesi
- Category: Motivation, Productivity
There are a number of reasons goals fail and some of them are very simple. As simple as they seem, they still contribute to the failure of goals. You may know some of them and may having been overlooking them. If you want to stop failing at those goals you have been setting, it is important you pay attention to this series that will run for a few weeks.
- No written goals
Until you have written your goals, you probably are not ready to hit that goal. There is power in anything that you write down. You are not just writing those goals down so that you can have something on paper. Written goals will be remembered. In writing, you specify the details and the written details will always be pivotal to the accomplishment of your goals. No matter how intelligent you are, write down your goals. It doesn’t matter how sharp your memory is, you can still forget a goal that is not written so you have to write and put the notes in a place where you see it often. Apart from have a document that states all your goals, I suggest you have sticky notes in different place around the house and your office.
I read a story from www.sidsavara.com about why 3% of Harvard MBAs make ten times as much as the other 97% combined. According to the article, those getting into the MBA program me are asked a simple question. The question: “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” It was also written that interviewers in 1979 asked the new graduates from Harvard’s MBA this question. What they found was that:
* 84% had no specific goals at all
* 13% had goals but they were not committed to paper
* 3% had clear, written goals and plans to accomplish them.
These graduates were interviewed ten years later and what they found was:
*The 13% who had goals, on the average, earned twice as much as the 84% who didn’t have goals.
* The 3% with clear, written goals got ten times as much as the other 97%.
The details are credited to the book ‘What They Don’t Teach You in The Harvard Business School, by McCormack.
While things may not always play out this way in life, the message is clear. With written goals, you move faster in life. It is like two drivers who need to drive at night. One has a functional headlamp and the other does not. You already know the one who will be able to travel fast and safely.
- Adoption of goals
Adoption of goals is one of the reasons goals fail. It simply means to take the goals of other people and call it your goals. You don’t know why that other person created those goals. You also don’t understand how those goals will help the other person get to his or her next level in life. You should never just adopt the goals of other people and think that you will be able to work with that. Many people are simply adopting the goals of people and claiming they have goals. Goals also fail when adopted because you and the person whose goals you are adopting don’t have the same focus in life. Even when you do, you may not be on the same level or have the same needs. You want your goals to work, stop adopting the goals of other people.
- Creating goals hurriedly
While it is important to have goals and to write them, the goals should not be written hurriedly. Don’t be in haste to create goals just so it looks like you are goal driven. Take your time to think on where you want to be in life. Who do you want to become and who are you at the moment? Answers to these questions will eventually form the goals that you create. Be sure the goals you are creating are goals you can work with. Don’t just have a document on several interesting statements and you call them goals. Writing your goals can be done in a day and in some other cases, it will take days or weeks. Even after writing the goals, you may spend the next few days or weeks adding details, steps to be taken and resources required.