And the Lord said, I have surely seen the affliction of my people which are in Egypt, and have heard their cry by reason of their taskmasters; for I know their sorrows; Exodus 3:7 KJV
When the heavens seem closed over a man or woman, you can either wait for God to open it when he feels like or press heaven to open it. Why is this so? We saw the story of the blind man in Luke 18:38 who cried, ‘Jesus, thou son of David, have mercy on me.’
There were people trying to stop this gentle man but he refused to be stopped until he got the attention of Jesus. Someone reading this needs to persist in the place of prayer and keep shouting, regardless of what friends, family and neighbours say, till you get the attention of heaven. Getting the attention of heaven is not just enough, you must say what you want.
The man eventually got the attention of Jesus. Jesus saw that he was blind and still asked, ‘Why do you want me to do for you?’ What I can deduce from this passage is that if we don’t do certain things, the heaven may remain shut for longer than necessary.
In Exodus chapter 3, we can tell from verse 7 that the cry of the people necessitated the intervention of God. God is a compassionate God. When we cry out to him, he listens and responds to our cry. He also proffers solutions. That is why we must not keep our mouths shut as children of God.
Jesus, while he was here on earth even said, ‘pray without ceasing.’ I can interpreted that to mean, ‘dont stroo crying out to heaven until you see it open. So we have established that there are things a man can do to open the heavens. What are those other things? They include:
1. Use the password of praise. Psalm 100:4 says we should enter his courts with praise.
2. Praying without ceasing opens the heavens. In Daniel 10:13 we saw that Daniel didn’t stop praying until answers came. In Acts 16:25, Paul and Silas sang and prayed until prison doors opened to them and 1 Thessalonians 5:17 says to pray without ceasing. Don’t be weary until answers come.
3. A relationship with God keeps the heaven open. Genesis 3:8 shows that God wants a relationship with man. So long as there is a relationship with God, the heavens will remain open.
4. Obedience to God opens the heaven and keeps it open. Abraham in Genesis 12, through obedience, was blessed by God despite famine in the land.
5. Submission & Humility will keep the heaven open. Mathew 3:14 & 15 shows Jesus’ Humility in that he was greater than John the Baptist but humble himself to be baptised. We immediate saw the heavens opening for him and results in Philippians 2:1-9, the results of that Humility were highlighted.
I pray that as you praise and pray, the heavens will open to you and remain open as you obey and keep a relationship with God in Jesus name.