- August 4, 2018
- Posted by: Fola Daniel Adelesi
- Category: Faith, Religion
It pleased Darius to set over the kingdom one hundred and twenty satraps, to be over the whole kingdom; and over these, three governors, of whom Daniel was one, that the satraps might give account to them, so that the king would suffer no loss. Then this Daniel distinguished himself above the governors and satraps, because an excellent spirit was in him; and the king gave thought to setting him over the whole realm.
Daniel 6:1-3 NKJV
It’s become imperative to talk about excellence again in the kingdom of God because some people seem to have forgotten that it is a standard expected of us in anything we do. For example, the Bible was admonishing us in Ecclesiastes 9:10 where it says, ‘Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.’ – KJV. The sole purpose of doing anything with your might is to get the best possible out of that thing. When you don’t do something with all your might, that’s when you get something short of excellence.
What does it mean to do something with all your might? Let’s take a look at the following:
- Might represents energy but it can be taken beyond the physical context of energy alone.
- Might can also mean all the resources available at your disposal to get something done.
- Might can mean the wisdom, strategy and information that you have.
- The people that you know can also be your might.
- Your position can be your might.
So when the Bible requires or admonishes that we do something with our might, it simply means we put all resources together to get the best results. We must never work as a mediocre. Whatever we do must get our hundred per cent attention, energy and resources.
Why should we operate in excellence?
- Excellence is the nature of God. All that God does speaks and reflects excellence. There’s nothing in and about God that is short of excellence. In fact, the reason we call His works ‘supernatural’ is because his excellence supersedes what seems to be humanly possible in the highest standards of excellence. He doesn’t stop with doing normal excellent things. He does things that are supernaturally excellent so much that nobody can dare replicate his feat. If that’s our God then we can’t do anything in any way that’s less than excellent.
- Anything that represents excellence is in a class of its own. Excellent things and products naturally stand out. Excellent people don’t beg for attention or don’t struggle with publicity. They just stand out. When a car is excellently designed, people call for it even if it’s sold at a premium price. When a piece of jewellery is excellently finished, it comes at a premium price but people still call for it because of the excellent finishing. Excellence naturally makes it easy to stand out. We as children of God are expected to stand out. Are shouldn’t just be a part of the numbers in the places where we work or in the towns where we live. We are to stand out in character and in the way we conduct our business. We must stand out through holy living and practical love towards other people.
- Our least standard is excellence. Since God is excellent and His standard is excellence, our least standard, as His children is excellence. Nothing short of excellence is expected of anyone who is a child of God. There are some companies in the world that will never put their names on something if that thing does not attain a standard of excellence. Manufacturers of computers and mobile phones in different countries have a standard of excellence. If the product manufactured does not attain that standard, the company will not only refuse to put her name on it but resend such products to the factory. These products are either upgraded or destroyed. Some can be used as samples or for testing purposes only. If companies can operate like that then we as children of God must realize that we have a standard of excellence which also includes holiness and righteous living.
Excellence is built into your nature. Go an operate in the excellent Spirit of God that is already in you.