One of the many things that burden a number of people, especially the children of God, is the issue of how to receive a vision. It is very important to understand how to receive a vision from God so that you’re sure about what you’re running with. You also need to remember that when God gives a vision, the provision is already waiting somewhere and as you begin to work on that vision, the provision needed will begin to unfold or is gradually released to you.
While there may be several unconventional ways to receive a vision, there are also known ways in which anyone can receive a vision. Therefore, you should note that the ways of receiving a vision listed here are not exhaustive.
If you are ready to receive a vision from God, it can happen in the following ways:
- The Holy Spirit – The Holy Spirit is very crucial to anyone who claims to be a child of God. You can’t live successfully without him and can’t make much impact without his leading. The importance of His presence in our lives was made known when Jesus asked the Apostles in the books of Acts to tarry in Jerusalem until they had received the Holy Spirit. In 1 John 2:27, we were told ‘But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him. That means all you ever need for divine guidance in life is the presence of the Holy Spirit. You can receive a vision through the Holy Spirit and be guided through execution of the vision by the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- The Word of God – You must never forget that God is his Word. John 1:1 said ‘In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.’ That simply means when you get into the word, you are reading expressly from God. The difference however is if you are reading the word alone or you are reading the word with the Holy Spirit. When you read alone you are reading letters but when you read with the Holy Spirit you are reading life. The words on the pages of those books or electronic devices cease to be ordinary letters and they become life. They find expression and move to the level of ‘cause and effect.’ So as you read the word, you can find the exact word that defines your vision in life.
- Hearing from God directly – God speaks expressly to people and can still speak expressly to you today. Sometimes people make it look like you would have attained a level of spirituality before God can speak with you. What I think it not true in that statement is the fact that God speaks to all his children but what he says to them ultimately depends on their level of relationship with him. If God does not speak until you attain a level of relationship then God will not speak with all his children. Sometimes, it is the communication that God initiates with his children that brings them closer. So you can hear directly from God about a vision. It can be as real as though you are in a conversation with a friend. It can also be a situation where you are receiving instructions. Sometimes, what he simply does is to open your eyes to something that you’ve not paid attention to.
- An angel of God – In the book of Luke 1:35, we saw an angel bringing some good news to Mary about something that’s to happen later. God also uses his angels to deliver visions to his children. The ministry of angels is still very real today as it was in the Bible days. God still sends angels to people and the encounter will be so real that you may think you were talking to a normal human being. We also saw how the birth of Samson was announced to his parents in the book of Judges. It was an angel who brought the news to the parents and they didn’t know they were talking with an angel until he was caught up into heaven.
- Fellowshipping with God – God likes to fellowship with his children just as we saw in the book of Genesis chapter 1 and 2. In the place of fellowshipping with God, several things happen. Healings can take place. Miracles are birthed. Impossibility becomes possible. Lives are practically turned around and more importantly, visions are received.
- A burden in your heart – You may receive a burden in your heart about an issue. I believe that this is one of the ways God also shows us the things we are to fix in life. This is because the word of God says in Philippians 2:13 ‘for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.’ – NIV. So God can begin to point your attention to something through a burden in your heart to attend to some issues. That’s how some people received their vision. They simply became burdened about homeless people. Some people became burdened about orphans. A few became burdened about transforming other people’s lives and providing solutions to daily needs.
- The gifts of God in your life – There are gifts that God has given to you and when you take a close look at the gifts, there is a reason God gave those gifts to you. It wasn’t an accident. It was because of a vision. So when you begin to identify your gifts in life, you are getting close to receiving a vision. That’s because the skills and gifts are simply tools for the achievement of the vision. When you start asking what the purpose of your gifts are, your answers come in forms of vision and purpose. 1 Timothy 4:14 says, ‘Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you by prophecy with the laying on of the hands of the elders.’ This also talks about spiritual gifts and there is a reason those spiritual gifts are released unto you. You must find out why and begin to use them in that line.
- Sermons – God uses people to guide, teach, correct and set you on the right path. That’s why it is very important to be in a place where the word of God is taught without dilution. You need to be under the teaching of those who are rightly dividing the word of truth because as the word comes forth on the altar of God, you can catch a vision. God can cause the minister to talk about a challenge. God can cause him to mention something briefly and you just connect with it. There are times when the minister may not even mention anything close to the vision you are receiving but you will still catch a vision because the atmosphere is saturated and the Spirit of God can find expression. Listen to quality sermons because you can receive a vision and the power of God on the minister can also be transferred to you.
- Mentoring – We can never stop talking about mentoring. You will always need someone to provide mentoring because the person has gone ahead of you and when you leverage on their experience, you will make your journey in life a lot easier. You will save yourself some costly mistakes and more importantly, mentors can guide you into receiving and achieving a vision in life. It was Eli who taught Samuel how to hear and respond to the voice of God! Though he was no longer hearing God, from experience, he knew it was God trying to reach out to the boy. Until Samuel responded the way Eli told him to, God did not continue speaking. God had stopped talking to Eli but still didn’t speak to Samuel until Eli had taught him how to respond to the voice of God. As you share your experiences and encounters with mentors, they can see beyond what you can imagine and begin to guide you, especially if they have the infilling of the Holy Ghost.
- Dreams – You can still dream and receive a vision. We have come to a time when people use dreams and visions interchangeably but that doesn’t mean people don’t receive visions in dreams when they sleep. One of the ways you can catch a vision is by a dream. Some people don’t dream very often but when they do, those dreams are usually unique whatever the see or hear will come to pass. God also shows people what needs to be done in the place of a dream and can also show you a vision for your life in a dream.
- Books – You need to read. One of the habits that can help you catch a vision is reading. As you begin to read you will discover that more needs to be done. You will see what others have done and how much more you can also do when you read. Your eyes open up and your wisdom increases. Even the scripture in 2 Timothy 2:15 says we should study to show ourselves approved unto God. Jesus was a reader. That’s why he kept answering the devil when he was tempted with statements like ‘it is written…’ If he didn’t read he wouldn’t know what was written.
- Prayers – When you pray you are communicating with God. Sometimes, you are asking God to give you something or to bless you in a certain way. When God responds to your prayers, he might respond with a vision. The vision may not seem to connect with the prayers but when you take on the task of pursuing the vision, you will then realize that the vision is actually a bigger answer to the prayer than you ever imagined. So when you want a higher level and you begin to pray, God may respond with a vision. When you want a change of status of a transformed life, God can respond with a vision. Except you become sensitive to this, you may not realize that the answer to your prayer lies in pursuing the vision. There are people out there still crying to God for answers to their prayers today. God had already responded to them through a vision but they are still waiting. What visions have you received in the place of prayer? Start following those visions today.
My greatest desire will be to see you catch a vision from God and fulfil your God ordained purpose in life. Therefore, begin to use any of the channels through which a vision can be delivered to you now and watch your life transform as you pursue a God-given vision.