Without purpose you can’t talk about any meaningful and satisfactory future. Purpose is the reason you were created and born in the first place. If you are going to make the most of your life, it is important to know your purpose and begin to walk in that purpose. Please ask yourself why you were born and why you had to be born at this time. There are a number of things that can help you identify or discover your purpose. They include, but are not limited, to your current gifts or exceptional abilities. The things you do outstandingly well and everyone around you recognizes it should count for something. While the same thing comes with a great effort for others, it comes effortlessly to you. There is a reason you’re the best at that thing and can do it effortlessly. Purpose tells you why you were born. Purpose tells you how to live so you must discover your purpose.
I often share in many of the meetings where I get to speak on topics related to purpose that everything was created for a purpose. No man manufactures anything without a purpose in mind. We all know that the human mind is limited in nature yet it has the capacity to conceive that anything that has to be manufactured must have a purpose. If the limited human mind is able to conceive that something has to be created for a purpose, and it does so, how much more the mind of the Almighty God? A normal man wouldn’t create something that has no value to the people who are supposed to buy it.
A computer was created for a purpose. A phone was created for a purpose. A table was created for a purpose. A chair was created for a purpose. A bed was also created for a purpose. A headphone was created for a purpose. Light was created for a purpose. Books were created for a purpose. A calculator was also created for a purpose. Doors have a purpose. Cars have a purpose. Clothes have a purpose. Houses have a purpose. As you use all of those things then you need to bear in mind that they are fulfilling purpose. As you use your car, it fulfills the purpose of taking you from point A to point B. As you use your bed it serves the purpose of providing comfort for you. As you use your clothes, they provide the purpose of covering for you.
If the things you use on a daily basis are fulfilling purpose, why wouldn’t you? If inanimate objects life tables and chairs are fulfilling purpose as you use them, why shouldn’t you do the same as you live? When you take a look at all the things listed above as things that fulfill purpose as they’re used, you will realize that there is a function or design built into them to help them carry out their purposes. A table is usually designed according to its function. You don’t see a table and call it a bed though you can sleep on a table. However, when you see a proper bed and you sleep on one, you will accept that the function of comfort is built into it. The table was designed to be strong enough for your use while writing or working on a daily basis. It was not designed to provide comfort for you while you sleep except it’s a convertible table or a multipurpose table which can be converted to a bed after the day’s use as a table.
As a human being, you cannot afford to come to this earth without properly identifying your purpose and fulfilling that purpose. It is not enough to identify your purpose. The ultimate aim of identifying your purpose is to begin to fulfill that purpose. God created you for a reason. He had an intention in mind when you were formed and permitted to be born. No one could have been born without the permission of God. No one can exist without the permission of God.
You should also note that you carry God’s breathe in you and if you exist, then he knows about your existence. All it takes for your existence to seize is for God to take his breathe from you. You were also made in the form and nature of God. There is a reason for that. It will be an absolute waste of time, years and effort on this earth to walk through it and not discover or fulfill your purpose.
Before I begin to talk about what purpose is or is not, let me quickly point out that purpose is to be discovered and not created like an ambition, dreams or personal visions. Since it has been established that God had an intention in mind when he created you, it means that God’s intention for creating you is your purpose and that is what you have to discover. You are not to create an idea in your head and call it your purpose. You are not to create a big vision for yourself and call it your purpose. You cannot go to life coaches and consultants to get ideas about what to do with your life and call their solutions your purpose, especially if they’re not spirit filled.
In plain terms, purpose is to be discovered by the leading of the Spirit of God and not the assumptions of man or mere consultations with men. There are men that God may use to guide you into purpose. There are men whose eyes may be opened by God to talk to you about your purpose or point you in the direction of purpose but you need to be sure that’s your purpose and not another man trying to make you live his dreams.
Every man has an ambition and we are permitted to have one. You can decide to go into the real estate business. That’s an ambition and not a purpose. You can decide you want to have 100 properties or own an entire community where people come to rent from you. That’s an ambition and not a purpose. You can decide to own 10 cars, fly all over the world and live a good live. Those are good things but they’re simply ambitions and they are not going to give you the real fulfillment that you need in life. I have heard of people becoming so successful and having so much money but are still not fulfilled in life. In every sense of the word, success, they’ve become successful but they’re not fulfilled.
That’s why you see some successful people reinventing themselves after making all the money they could possibly make. Some say they’re not going after their passion. It means there was something that always yearned for their attention but they ignored that thing for a while. Some out of fear of failing just decided that it was important to make money before going after purpose. If you truly understand your purpose and you go about it the right way, there will be so much money to be made in the process of fulfilling purpose.
Now let’s try to define purpose to make it clearer and be sure we are both talking about the same thing.
What is purpose?
1. Purpose is the reason for the creation of a thing
2. Purpose is the essence of a thing
3. Purpose is why a thing was created
4. Purpose is what makes anything relevant in the scheme of things
5. Purpose is why a human being has to be born
6. Purpose is why you were born to where you were born at the time you were born
7. Purpose is the specific assignment of a man in life
8. Purpose if the assignment that necessitated a man’s design
9. Purpose is a portion of the kingdom agenda that a believer was called to implement here on earth.
10. Purpose is God’s job description for human beings here on earth
Going by all the definitions above, you will then see that a car may have several functions but the ultimate purpose of a car is to take you from one point to the other. Some cars have very powerful stereo systems. Some cars have unimaginable security protocols or measures built into them. Some cars are designed to accommodate just the driver while others are designed to accommodate a few people. There are cars that project your luxurious life style and there are cars that just show you’re fairly comfortable. On the steering of some cars, there are several buttons to help the driver control music and some other things while driving without having to touch or stretch to touch other buttons.
Some cars will have several controls by the driver’s side of the door and he can do almost anything imaginable for anyone from those buttons from his side. Some cars even come with video players attached to the seats in front for those at the back to watch something while the car moves. There are seats in some cars that are now designed to massage your back. Why am I taking time to talk about all these things? It is just to create a picture in your mind about all the possible functions that can come with a car and they’re still not related to the purpose of that car.
Can a car move without all those extra functions? Certainly! Why then do the manufactures create all those extra functions in the cars when the cars can move without all the extra functions? They’re simply trying to match or surpass what the competition can offer. They know that the most important purpose of a car is to move you around but they’ve decided to building some extra features to make the car comfortable while you move around.
That is the same for human beings. You have innate skills. That is in born abilities. Or abilities you easily pick up as you grow and you also have interests that you pick up which will then cause you to develop or acquire certain skills. There may be so many things that you can do, like the car. But all those things that you can do may not add much value to your purpose. The reason you were created is your purpose. The portion of the kingdom agenda that you were to execute here on earth is your purpose.
Over the years, as I taught about purpose and also listened to others speak about it, I came to the conclusion that there are types of purpose. This conclusion was drawn by what your purpose is going to do or achieve.
Types of purpose
1. Path finding purpose – The Path finding purpose is the kind of heavenly ordained assignment that makes follow paths or create paths that never existed. It is the kind of purpose and makes you a kind of ‘way-maker’ for others in a place where no one thought certain things were possible. Your purpose makes you the first person to achieve that kind of a thing. You may not have been the first person ordained for this kind of purpose but others previously designed to follow this path may have given up on it. They may as well have chosen other paths in life but it is very important that someone breaks into this new path and until that happens, someone will always be saddled with the responsibility of breaking that path. In the Bible, no one had been given the privilege of leading over 3 million people through a wilderness before Moses. No one has had the privilege of parting the red sea for millions of people to walk through. No one had spoken to God to the point of having him write some rules on physical tablets to be taken down to human beings on earth. In our days here on earth, some children of God have had the rare privilege of being the ones to established scriptural and spiritual realities here on earth. From the likes of Smith Wigglesworth, to Charles Finney, John G. Lake, Kenneth Hagin, Benson Idahosa, E. A. Adeboye and David Oyedepo. Even in the corporate world, there are men taking their positions as kingdom ambassadors and breaking new grounds on a daily basis while the world grows green with envy.
That is why you should never be afraid to try or do something new because your purpose may warrant that you do something that hasn’t been heard off. Your purpose may warrant that you do something that’s different from what every other person is doing. You may have the kind of purpose that will be a path finding purpose. This also means that you will start that thing and others will follow. Every generation has people with path finding purposes. They’re people who will start what no one has started or go to places no one is willing to go to. Some of them are those who will create the breakthrough inventions that we need for the next phase of humanity.
If you have a path finding purpose or you believe that what God has called you to do requires going into terrains that people have never been to, you need to be careful about who you listen to or talk to. You should be talking to people who will encourage you and not those who will tell you never to try it because you will be digging your grave. You have to ensure that you are surrounded by those who will cheer you on and give the right counsel instead of trying hard to dissuade you. Some of the people mentioned above had people around them who could not believe what they were about to do until they did that thing successfully.
2. Managerial/Sustenance purpose – A managerial purpose is different from a path finding purpose in that you’re most likely coming in to hold brief or continue what was started. You may not have to start anything new or break new grounds. Some people are just required to be at the helm of affairs at that point in time and keep things running. They may bring people together and just ensure that all that was started is working well. You may not see any visible changes when someone with a managerial kind of purpose if in charge of things.
It is important to note here that the purpose of this person who is to serve in a managerial capacity isn’t less important. If someone starts something and there is no one to carry on, there will be trouble. Whatever was started will crash and another person will have to start all over. In some cases, starting something is just as important as sustaining it until there is the need to expand or grow into another phase. If there is no one to sustain what was started, you can’t talk about expansion.
3. Expansion Purpose – The kind of purpose that some people have will cause them to always focus on expansion. They will be breaking forth on every side. They may not start something but they certainly know and understand how to multiply it. Give them anything. It grows in their hands. It does not just grow, it actually multiplies. They never leave anything the way they met it. Give them a business; it will grow in leaps and bounds. Give them a project; they will expand the scope of the project. Give them a small house; they will find a way to expand it. They are simply all about expansion and that comes to them effortlessly. They seem to be daring. They will take on anything. Show them a place that isn’t growing and no one is willing to go there. They will go, turn the place around and make it look like magic happened there. What they were wired for will cause things to expand in their hands.
4. Transition or change Purpose – I also think there are those whose assignments can be categorized into the transition or change purpose. You would think that it is an easy thing to transition between one generation and another until you get stuck in a crisis and realize that transition is the problem. There are those who are blessed with managing this transition process or be the gap between one generation and another. Sometimes, it may have nothing to do with generational differences but there when there has to be a transition, they are able to manage it well. A path finder can mess up all that he or she has started at the point of transition. A managerial person can also lose the chance of handing things over to that person who will cause expansion where the transition isn’t effectively managed. So what stands out these transition people? Their principal strength is wisdom. You need their wisdom to manage and transfer things from one person to another without spoiling the good work that was started.
Why do you need to discover purpose?
1. If you come to this earth without discovering purpose then you’ve failed because you were born for a purpose. I believe you still remember where we started this discussion on purpose from and how objects created by human beings are fulfilling purpose. How can a chair fulfill purpose and you will not? How can a table fulfill purpose and you will not? How can a car fulfill purpose and you will not? How can a computer fulfill purpose and you will not? You have to discover and fulfill that purpose.
2. If you don’t discover purpose you will disappoint God since he created you for a purpose that is unknown to you. We are all going to give account to God at the end of our lives about how we spent our lives. We may have done noble things here on earth and may have helped a number of people. All of that will not count as much as having fulfilled the God-ordained purpose for our lives. The most important account that you can give to God at the end of your life is the account of how you fulfilled purpose. Heaven is going to be so happy that you ran according to the kingdom agenda and delivered on the purpose of heaven and not yours. Do not relent on discovering and fulfilling your purpose. It is one crucial thing that you have to do in order not to disappoint God. Discovering your purpose is a major way to prepare for your future.
3. True fulfillment comes from fulfilling a purpose. We all have heard about successful people who decided to go into one thing or the other after they became successful. Some of them couldn’t identify the next phase of their lives while they felt empty and ended up committing suicide. You can chase all the success in the world. When you eventually get as much as you want, the issue of fulfillment in life sets in and you begin to ask yourself questions about what will make you a success. Sometimes, you will see those who will start a foundation as an avenue to give expression to that fulfillment that they want. They’ve built businesses. They’ve made money. They have all the connections you can imagine. They have the social class and maybe political influence but they know that something is missing. They say they want to give back but for some of them, that’s what they would have done initially or that’s where they would have started from if they got a second chance at life. True fulfillment comes from fulfilling your purpose. I can talk to you about this from my little experience of working for people and doing the things I believe I was created to do. Whenever I went to work for other people, it felt like I only did some of those jobs for myself. It felt like I wasn’t making any impact but could have been making money.
Making money is important but I wasn’t at peace with some of those jobs especially if they never had any avenue for me to fulfill my purpose. As soon as I got out and did those things that I felt led to do, I felt like a free bird that was able to fly again. The feeling comes with a kind of happiness that I wouldn’t trade at any point in time. Purpose give fulfillment and even if you have to keep a job or run a business while fulfilling your purpose, ensure you strike that needed balance.
4. Impact, through your God-ordained purpose, is recognized in heaven. The reason your impact through your God-ordained purpose is recognized in heaven is that your purpose, as stated earlier, is a portion of a kingdom agenda that you’re executing here on earth. When you execute a kingdom agenda, heaven is happy with you.
5. You’re going to be rewarded in heaven for your God-ordained purpose. If you help poor people, you will be rewarded for it. If you put a smile on the faces of people, you will be rewarded for it. If you make life easier for other people, you will be rewarded for it. One other reward that is special in heaven, which we all should not miss, is the reward for doing what God designed us to do here on earth. There’s a reason we came to the earth in the first place and heaven will reward us if that objective is achieved.
What’s the connection between God and purpose?
- God predestined us – Romans 8:28 – 30
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
God clearly predestined us! This means he created a destiny for us to walk into before we were born. The Bible says here that all things work together for good to those who love God and are called according to HIS, not our purpose. He knew us before we were formed because he is the one who decided to form us and clearly knows why he decided to form us.
- God had plans for us – Jeremiah 29:11
11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Our purpose is clearly connected to God because he says he knows the thoughts that he thinks towards us. He made it clear that his thoughts are to give us a future and a hope. There is no future we can create for ourselves that can be guaranteed to be a future with a hope outside of God. We may have plans for ourselves but only God’s plans can be guaranteed to come to pass the ways he planned it.
- God designed and preordained us – Jeremiah 1:5
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you;
Before you were born I sanctified you;
I ordained you a prophet to the nations.”
God told Jeremiah that he formed him and ordained him a prophet even before he was born. One great cue we should always take from this scripture is the fact that we may not be Jeremiah but like Jeremiah, God knew us before we were formed and also ordained us for something special before we were born. God has always been the creator of the picture. This isn’t talking about God being in the picture. This is about recognizing that he created the picture and will be the one to bring it to reality.
- We were formed for a purpose – Isaiah 43:21
This people I have formed for Myself;
They shall declare My praise.
You were formed for God and not for yourself. You were formed to declare the praise of God and not to decide how you are going to live your life. Whatever you do should give glory to God at the end of the day. Your life should give glory to God. Your actions should give glory to God. As you fulfill your purpose, you’re also declaring his praise and establishing his purpose here on earth.
- A manufacturer is the one that determines the purpose of a thing – Isaiah 45:9
“Woe to him who strives with his Maker!
Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth!
Shall the clay say to him who forms it, ‘What are you making?’
Or shall your handiwork say, ‘He has no hands’?
This verse of scripture is simply saying you cannot say to your maker what to make of you. Your maker is to tell you what you’re to become. He will make out of you what he wants and will make you become what he pre-ordained. Just as the clay pot cannot say to the potter what are you making? Any true child of God cannot say, ‘this is my life and I’ll decide what to do with it.’ God is the only one who can decide what to make of our lives.
- If God is your manufacturer then he determines your purpose
The person who decided to manufacture a chair decided the purpose of that chair even before it was manufactured. The person who decided to manufacture tables decided the purpose of the table. The one who decided to manufacture a laptop decided the purpose of that laptop before he was created and in the same vein, as God decided to create you, he decided your purpose just as we see in Jeremiah 29:11.
- If you choose your purpose you will have to fulfill it yourself – Mathew 6:33
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
If you follow the purpose of God by seeking first his kingdom agenda for your life to follow it, God promised that all the other things you need shall be added unto you. If you choose your purpose you will have to add whatever is need yourself. When God calls a man and the man follows his leading, God does the provision. If a man calls himself then the man will have to provide for himself. God never backs a calling that is not from him. He has no provision for a purpose that is not his own. You may be able to get resources but it does not mean the resources are from God. We need to be careful about calling every provision the divine intervention of God because some are not. God will only back up what he asked you to get into.
- If God tells you your purpose, he will help you fulfill it because that’s his plan – 1 Kings 17: 7 – 10
7 And it happened after a while that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land.
8 Then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, 9 “Arise, go to Zarephath, which belongs to Sidon, and dwell there. See, I have commanded a widow there to provide for you.” 10 So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city, indeed a widow was there gathering sticks. And he called to her and said, “Please bring me a little water in a cup, that I may drink.”
Every responsible employer provides a job description and the resources to execute the job. If a human employer is smart enough to provide a job description by which an employee is going to be assessed, why do you think God does not have a job description for you to follow? The same employer who provides a job description will also provide the resources necessary to fulfill the job description. When God tells you what to do, he will also give you the provisions to make it happen. He will surround you with people or move you to the people that will help you. He can also move people towards you just for an assignment to be achieved. Elijah was on a mission for God and God has to provide what he was going to eat through a woman in another town.
9. If being employed on a job authorizes you to use the resources of a company, then being on a God-ordained purpose authorizes you to use the resources of heaven! Remember I said that God will not make provisions for a calling that is not from him. He will not back up a call that he never made. If you did the calling, then you will make the provision. However, heaven has unlimited resources for us to tap into. We can only tap into heaven’s unlimited resources if we are actually on a mission ordained by heaven in the first place. A thief cannot be on a mission, get into trouble, and call the police for back up! That thief is going to be arrested. A police officer who is also on an illegal operation cannot call for back up if he or she gets into trouble. Police officers can call for back because they know they are on a mission for the state and the state is under obligation to supply all the resources that they need when and wherever the call for back up. If you need the resources of heaven, you better check to be sure you’re on an assignment approved by heaven. Your job description must have been provided by heaven. If not, you are on your own.
10. God knows you’re wired for whatever he says is your purpose even if you don’t look like it or believe it. God is connected to your purpose because it is impossible for him to lie according to Hebrews 6:18, and whatever he says about you is what you are. You may think you’re less or far from what God says you are. You may think you can’t possibly achieve all that God is showing you. You may be thinking about the fact that no one in your family has done as much as God wants you to do. If God says you can do it, then you can. He created you and knows the capacity he put into you. All you have to do is follow what he says. You should also remember that God is simply working through you to get things done. You simply have to be a willing vessel for him to achieve the impossible that he wants to achieve.
11. When you follow what God calls your purpose, you’ll be following a route already mapped out. If you create a purpose, you will have to chart your course by yourself. If you follow God’s purpose, you will simply be walking into an already prepared future. Just like the children of Israel follow Him, he led them into a land flowing with milk and honey that he already promised them. We saw Gideon following God into a victory that God already prepared for him. Moses and Joshua in their respective times as leaders of Israel also walked into victory already prepared because they followed God. This is why God has to be involved in your purpose. He will be the one leading. He knows when you’re about to walk into danger and can quickly call you back. He knows where you can stay and where you cannot. He just guides you into a place that he already prepared for you but it will be a life of struggles and frustration when you choose your own path.
12. With God choosing your purpose, he responds to every obstacle on your way to fulfilling it. You should always remember that if God decided your purpose then that mission is important to him. If that mission is important to him then anything standing in your way wants to stand in the way of God for an important mission. That’s why God will get involved and support you to remove the obstacles before you. In simple words, any obstacle before you is trying to be an obstacle before an unstoppable God. It doesn’t matter how big that obstacles is, God will stop that obstacle because you’re on a mission for him.
What purpose will do for you.
1. Purpose gives you direction in life. There is really no direction outside of a life of purpose. What will you call your direction if the idea or vision does not lead you to the place of purpose or help you to fulfil purpose in life? Purpose determines where you go, who you talk to and how you live your life daily. You determine what is right, wrong, okay or acceptable to you on the basis of your understanding of purpose. Without an understanding of purpose, you really do not know what your direction in life should be. There are those who have gone far in life but they’ve made a U-turn upon realizing all they did was without a purpose.
2. You derive a vision, mission and goals from your purpose. Too many people have visions, missions and goals but all those ideas don’t give them any kind of fulfilment because it does not come from their purpose in life. I can tell you that one of the goals, dreams, passions or missions that you can pursue effortlessly or passionately and tirelessly in life would be the ones that are connected to your purpose in life.
3. Your purpose determines your association. Your life’s journey becomes easier if you discover your purpose early in life. The reason is that you can easily determine the people you need early and start working with them. When time wasters come around you, there will be no room for them because by the understanding of your purpose, you know you’re not supposed to be together. Now you should know that time wasters don’t always look like time wasters. In fact, many of them are good people who also do not know that they are time wasters. You probably only get to know they’re time wasters by the time you review your activity with them and you realize their time with you adds no value. With a sense of purpose, you already know who should be around you and why they should be around you.
4. By purpose, your location per time is determined – Joseph in Egypt, Daniel in Babylon and many others are examples.
5. Purpose stands you out from the crowd because your purpose already determined the skillset that you have or the oil that is upon on your head.
6. Purpose makes you relevant in life. When you walk in purpose, you will remain relevant to people but outside of purpose, you will just be another human being.
7. Purpose puts a responsibility on you because it is an assignment for others and not just a blessing for you.
8. Purpose channels certain blessings through you. When you have a purpose, God chooses to bless you because of other people. Some people do not understand that the reason for their wealth is the blessing of other people. God blessed you because He expects you to be a better manager of funds or have a compassionate heart that reaches out to people. The purpose of the money could also be to support the divine dreams that he has placed in the heart of some people.
9. Purpose demands a sacrifice from you. To fulfil purpose, you will have to pay the price of focus, limit your enjoyment in some cases and cut off some associations. If you go for everything you want at all times, you will not be able to fulfil purpose. There are things that may not be wrong but for the sake of purpose, you will have to part with them.
10. Purpose requires you live your life for others – you become a living sacrifice. Your life isn’t for you alone. You are expected to live a life of daily impact.
How to discover purpose
Having said so much about purpose, it will not be nice to conclude this chapter without talking about a few ways to discover your purpose. Just in case you haven’t discovered your purpose, it is nothing far-fetched. This chapter should have helped you in some ways to understand what purpose is. This will just be the icing on the cake regarding the discovery.
There are a number of ways in which you can discover purpose but no definition of the discovery of purpose, outside of God, leads to true purpose in life. This is also because we have established that your purpose is a portion of the kingdom agenda that is to be executed here on earth. Following that position, God must be the one to show you your purpose or help you discover that purpose.
These are some of the ways to discover your purpose:
1. Hear from God – Acts 9:4-6; Exodus 3:7-8
In the texts above, we saw two different characters who were going about their businesses and God decided to get their attention to lead them to purpose. In Acts 9:4, Jesus got the attention of Saul who was persecuting the people of God and from that encounter, he began a journey to purpose with the plans of God for his life. In Exodus 3: 7 -8, we saw that Moses was tending to his flock and as he did, God got his attention through a strange fire on a bush which wasn’t consumed. Wondering what was happening, Moses decided to pay more attention and God started the journey to purpose for Moses.
From these two alone you can see that hearing from God is a great way to discover your purpose in life. There are cases where you will have to go through a process but there are others where you can hear expressly about an assignment from God and that will lead you to living a purposeful life.
2. Read the word – Luke 4: 18 – 21
18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”
20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him.
21 And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your
Jesus, in the verses of scripture above, was referring to what the Bible said concerning him in Isaiah 61:1. He knew what the Bible said because he read the word. There were a number of times in the scripture when he was asked questions and his response would be, ‘have you not read?’ The word is a mirror for our destiny. Just as it is written in II Corinthians 3: 18. As we read the word, we become what God intends for us to become. We discover who we are in Christ Jesus and we eventually have more fulfillment here on earth.
A classic example of someone who prayed and received the next instruction that led him into purpose was Daniel. Who whole of the book of Daniel was an expose on praying your way into the next instruction and acting upon the instruction that has been given. He even preserved his life, that of his friends and all the magicians in the land by praying to know the dream which the kind had but had forgotten. His prayer showed him what to do per time and help him to remain relevant through the reign of about 4 kings. That was how he fulfilled purpose. We all know the popular story of how the people in the kingdom became envious of him and the only thing that could be used to trap him was prayer. In the place of prayer, mysteries are unveiled and purposes can be discovered.
4. Engage the Holy Spirit – Isaiah 61:1; 1 John 2:27
Just as Jesus quoted what was written concerning him in Isaiah, you will realize the first line of that scripture makes reference to the Spirit of the Lord which is the Spirit of God. Clearly, that is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the guide of every believer, who cares to listen, and will guide you into the fulfilment of purpose. 1 John 2:27 says He will teach you concerning all things. There will be many moments of confusion in the absence of the Holy Spirit. There will be repeated frustration when a journey is embarked upon without the guidance of the Holy Spirit. You need to hear His voice as he tells you this is the way, walk ye in it. That’s how you rest assured you did the right thing at the right time and in the way God would have wanted you to do it.
5. Be observant about what you’re blessed with
There’s a reason you have already been blessed with some the things you have been blessed with. This blessing, as you may have heard, may include your innate abilities. What are those special abilities in you? Why do you think you have been blessed with those abilities? What is the purpose of that ability to sing or speak in a certain manner? I have been careful not to tell people that their gifts are their purposes because they are not. However, your gift can be a pointer to your purpose. For example, it will be wrong to tell someone who can sing that singing is their purpose. That is not correct. Singing can be an instrument for the fulfilment of a purpose but singing is not purpose. Singing can be an avenue to deliver a healing ministry into the hands of someone or an avenue to lift the burdens in people’s hearts. That means the ability to sing and the songs are simply tools. They are not the fulfilment of purpose so if you can sing, you still need to understand the intended purpose of God for giving you the ability to sing. This is exactly the same for those who are gifted at speaking. Speaking isn’t the purpose. It is only an avenue to fulfil the purpose. Speaking 6. Discover the anointing upon you
I believe that there is an anointing upon your head already and this is true especially if you’re already a child of God. The anointing that is upon your head if for the assignment that God designed you to undertake. Every assignment requires an anointing. If you have an assignment and you do not have the anointing, you will struggle with that assignment. Your assignment clearly leads to your purpose in life and there is a need for you to know the kind of oil that is upon your head or the kind of anointing upon you. When you know how you have been anointing or the purpose of the anointing, you will also know the most effective way to work with that anointing and how to flow with it. So many people currently carry a redundant anointing yet they’re out there looking for power and fulfilment. They think that all they will ever become is in something else outside of them when god has already given them the anointing to become as much as he wants them to become. Do whatever you have to do to know the anointing upon you and that that anointing is meant for. It will make your journey in life easier than you can imagine.